Henry Ford Trade School Alumni Association donates $750,000 to Lawrence Tech

The Henry Ford Trade School Alumni Association has donated $750,000 to create an endowed scholarship fund for undergraduate mechanical engineering students at Lawrence Technological University.
 
The donation is the largest for scholarships LTU has received from an organization. Interest income from the endowment will provide need-based scholarship assistance starting with the fall term of 2016.
 
The trade school was founded by Henry Ford in 1916 to give students the technical skills needed at the Ford automobile plants in addition to a standard high school education. The trade school had more than 8,000 graduates when it closed its doors in the 1950s.
 
In accepting the gift, LTU President Virinder Moudgil noted that numerous Ford Trade School alumni went on to also earn Lawrence Tech degrees, including Lewis C. Veraldi, the Ford vice president of product and manufacturing engineering, who oversaw development of the Taurus, which was the best-selling car in America for many years.
 
“We will perpetuate and celebrate Henry Ford’s legacy in education and create new generations of highly skilled engineers who are so essential to sustaining American ingenuity and economic leadership,” said John J. Graf, president of the Henry Ford Trade School Alumni Association.
 
Lawrence Technological University, www.ltu.edu, is a private university founded in 1932 that offers more than 100 programs through the doctoral level in its Colleges of Architecture and Design, Arts and Sciences, Engineering, and Management. PayScale lists Lawrence Tech among the nation’s top 100 universities for the salaries of its graduates, andU.S. News and World Report lists it in the top tier of best Midwestern universities. Students benefit from small class sizes and a real-world, hands-on, “theory and practice” education with an emphasis on leadership. Activities on Lawrence Tech’s 102-acre campus include over 60 student organizations and NAIA varsity sports.