Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson announced Tuesday his appointment of Matthew A. Gibb as deputy county executive in charge of Economic Development & Community Affairs. Gibb, the Orion Township supervisor, will begin his new position June 1. He will replace Doug Smith who joined the Snyder administration in the Michigan Economic Development Corporation in February.
“I’ve taken a great deal of time to find the right successor to Smith — and before him –Dennis Toffolo,” Patterson said during a morning news conference at the Executive Office Building in Waterford. “I’m absolutely elated that Supervisor Matt Gibb has accepted my offer to join my administration as deputy executive to oversee the county’s economic development initiatives.
“If you look to Orion Township, which he has managed for more than two years, you’ll understand why I’m so excited about Matt joining my team. Matt has demonstrated a pro-business, pro-growth agenda as Orion Township supervisor. He understands the complexity of the rules of the economic development system including the MEDC,” Patterson added.
As Orion Township’s chief administrative officer since November of 2008, Gibb’s accomplishments include:
• Leading a multi-level team to keep the General Motors Orion Assembly Plant open, leveraging green economy resources and multi-faceted incentives
• Developing and implementing a technology-driven branding and marketing strategy for Orion Township
• Creating public-private partnerships to construct regional water storage, a LEED certified Senior Community Center, and a 3,500 person outdoor performing arts center without using general fund tax dollars
• Implementing multi-year budgeting and more than $1 million in structural budgetary reforms in Orion Township.
• And negotiating the final phasing and first stages of closure of Eagle Valley Landfill while protecting the property rights of nearby residents and township finances.
“I’m confident Matt can do for Oakland County what he has done for Orion Township,” Patterson said.
“This opportunity is a reflection of the tireless effort of our team in Orion and a great honor to me personally,” said Gibb. “I am humbled by the trust placed in my hands by Mr. Patterson and excited to be the energy behind the vision.”
Prior to becoming Orion Township’s supervisor, Gibb practiced law representing corporate and individual clients as principal attorney at the Gibb Law Firm, P.C. in Shelby Township from September, 1999 to November, 2008. He also was a staff attorney at Jonathon R. Crane, P.C. in Rochester from July, 1993 to September, 1999. Gibb has a law degree from the University of Kentucky and a B.A. from Alma College.
Gibb lives in Orion Township with his wife Debbie and children, Emma, Megan and Ian.
Visit Oakland County online at oakgov.com