Nearly 1,000 Oakland County high school students and 43 companies will take part in Manufacturing Day in Oakland County – the largest local participation in the program ever.
The event, which showcases advanced manufacturing to students and careers that are available, is set for Oct. 5 at 43 advanced manufacturers throughout Oakland County. This is the county’s fourth year of involvement in the national celebration that takes students into the facilities to see first-hand the opportunities that await them.
“Manufacturing Day in Oakland County has grown each year,” Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson said. “It’s encouraging to see the increased numbers of students going on tours and the large number of Oakland County companies interested in hosting students. We expect the event to inspire our young people to consider pursuing a career in advanced manufacturing or the skilled trades, which are both so important to the future of our county and virtually all of our companies and communities.”
Oakland Schools Technical campuses in Clarkston, Pontiac, Royal Oak and Wixom are sending a total of 650 students on tours. In addition, 16 school districts are sending a combined 350 students on tours.
Patterson plans to attend the kick-off activities at the Northeast Technical Campus in Pontiac as will other state and local government officials.
“With nearly 110,000 manufacturing career openings through 2024, exposing students to opportunities in this high-demand, high-wage field is extremely important for Michigan’s continued economic success,” said Workforce Development Agency Director Stephanie Beckhorn. “Manufacturing Day events held not only in Oakland County but around Michigan play an important role in helping students learn about the vast opportunities available in professional trades careers like manufacturing.”
Students will spend the morning getting a behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of technologies and careers in advanced manufacturing. They will interact with employees about what they do each day and the skills required to be successful.
Among the tour hosts is Encore Automation of Auburn Hills. President Steven Becroft said his company is especially interested in prospective employees with a fundamental knowledge of controls, robotics, vision and sensors, and manufacturing processes.
“There is a shortage of candidates with this background for us and other companies in this area,” Becroft said. “Manufacturing Day provides a window for students into these areas, to show them there are lucrative and fulfilling careers available to those who are interested and motivated to engage in the excellent training and lab experiences from vocational-tech schools and colleges in Oakland County.”
Manufacturing Day in Oakland County is organized by Oakland County Michigan Works!, the Oakland County Department of Economic Development & Community Affairs, Oakland Schools and Oakland Community College.
The event’s platinum sponsor is Magna International; gold level sponsors include Automation Alley, Hi-Tech Mold & Engineering, Kelly Services, Lawrence Technological University and Oakland Community College. NLB Corp. is a silver sponsor and Hirotec, MPD Welding and WENZEL are bronze sponsors.
“Oakland County Manufacturing Day could not take place without the generous support of our organizing bodies and sponsors,” said Jennifer Llewellyn, manager of Oakland County Workforce Development. “Interest in the event is at an all-time high. In fact, we have secured a record number of sponsors to help fund the event and ensure its success.”
For more information on Oakland County Manufacturing Day, visit OakGov.com/MfgDay.
2018 OAKLAND COUNTY MANUFACTURING DAY TOUR HOSTS:
- AAM-Auburn Hills Manufacturing, Auburn Hills
- ABB Inc., Auburn Hills
- American Axle, Royal Oak
- Ascent Aerospace – Odyssey Industries, Lake Orion
- Atlas Copco Tools and Assembly Systems, Auburn Hills
- Automation & Modular Component, Inc., Davisburg
- Behco-MRM, Madison Heights
- Berkley Screw Machine Products, Rochester Hills
- Brose North America, Inc., Auburn Hills
- Comau LLC, Novi
- DASI Solutions, Pontiac
- DENSO, Southfield
- Deshler Group | UniBond, Ferndale
- Eaton Steel Bar Company Inc., Oak Park
- Encore Automation, Auburn Hills
- Esys Automation, Auburn Hills
- FATA Automation, Inc., Auburn Hills
- Ferndale Laboratories, Inc., Ferndale
- FRIMO Inc., Wixom
- Garden Fresh Gourmet, Ferndale
- General Motors Global Propulsion Systems, Pontiac
- General Motors Company – Orion Assembly Plant, Orion Township
- GKN Driveline, Auburn Hills
- Gonzalez Production Systems, Pontiac
- Hirata Corporation of America, New Hudson
- HIROTEC America, Inc., Auburn Hills
- Hi-Tech Mold & Engineering, Rochester Hills
- INDUCTOHEAT INC., Madison Heights
- Kawasaki Robotics (USA), Inc., Wixom
- K-Tec Systems, Ferndale
- Lear Corporation, Rochester Hills
- Magna International, Troy
- Magna: Cosma Body Assembly Michigan, New Hudson
- Mahindra, Auburn Hills
- Makino Inc., Auburn Hills
- Moeller Precision Tool, Wixom
- MPD Welding Inc., Lake Orion
- NLB Corp., Wixom
- Precision Coatings, Inc., Walled Lake
- Tectonics, Auburn Hills
- Visioneering, Inc., Auburn Hills
- WENZEL America, Wixom
- Witzenmann USA, Troy