The Oakland County Health Division Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program is seeking nominations for its 3rd Annual Breastfeeding-Friendly Place Award. Awards will honor Oakland County pediatrician offices, employers, and businesses that are taking extra steps to support breastfeeding mothers.
Complete an online nomination form at www.oakgov.com/health. Award nomination entries are due Friday, April 28, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
“Businesses, employers, and pediatrician offices that support breastfeeding mothers by providing a comfortable, welcoming environment send a clear message that breastfeeding is a normal and accepted way to feed babies,” said Kathy Forzley, Health Division manager/health officer. “They are helping to develop healthy children.”
Breastmilk helps keep babies healthy by:
- Supplying all necessary nutrients in proper proportions
- Protecting against diseases, infections, allergies, and obesity
- Being easily digested – no constipation, diarrhea, or upset stomach
Mothers who breastfeed have a reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes and certain cancers such as breast cancer, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. They may find it easier to return to their pre-pregnancy weight. Plus, breastfeeding strengthens the bond between mother and child. Mothers who are able to pump while at work and continue to breastfeed their infants miss fewer days of work on average than those who are formula feeding.
Award winners will be announced during National Breastfeeding Month at the Breastfeeding-Friendly Place Awards event on August 9.
Prior award winners include:
- The Mind Body Collective of Waterford – Business Category
- Southfield Pediatric Physicians, PC of Bingham Farms – Pediatrician Office Category
- City of Novi Police Department of Novi – Employer Category
- Mom & Baby Shop, Novi – Business Category
- Pediatric Care Corner of West Bloomfield – Pediatrician Office Category
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital of Pontiac – Employer Category
For more information, visit www.oakgov.com/health or call Nurse on Call at 800-848-5533.