As the heart of winter approaches, brighten your home and your spirits with Oakland County Parks and Recreation’s Virtual Take and Make crafting programs. Throughout the winter season, participants can pick up program kits and then join livestream demonstrations to make the craft projects along with an Oakland County Parks and Recreation (OCPR) naturalist.
“These are beautiful crafts that emphasize different elements of nature,” Recreation Program Supervisor of Nature Education Mary Blumka said. “Since it is too cold to take off our mittens and craft in the nature center tents outdoors, the virtual sessions allow us to continue to connect with guests and share information about how nature adapts during the winter season.”
Here’s how the programs work:
- Preregister by calling 248-858-0916 during business hours and select a location to pick up program kits. Kits will be available from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and Sunday noon-5 p.m. at Red Oaks Nature Center, 30300 Hales St. in Madison Heights or from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday-Sunday at the Independence Oaks County Park contact station, 9501 Sashabaw Road in Clarkston
- Follow the instructions provided at pick up to tune in to a live Zoom demonstration with an OCPR naturalist. If unable to join during the pre-determined time, participants will be provided with a pre-recorded demonstration or printed instructions. Note: The moon phases wall hanging class is a self-led program with no guided instruction
- After class, share the completed project with others by taking a photo and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org so it can be posted on social media
Kits come with everything needed to complete the craft, but participants will need to provide basic art supplies like crayons, scissors or Elmer’s glue as needed. Any additional supplies, if necessary, will be listed in each program kit.
Join OCPR for these upcoming programs:
- Craft a cheery hanging tile during Sunflower Deco Tile with Virtual Instruction. You can imprint the sunflower pattern into the air-dry clay with your own unique flair or make a different pattern using the provided natural materials. The kit can be picked up Jan. 22-30 with live Zoom instruction scheduled from 2-3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 30. This program is suitable for all ages, although young children may need assistance. Cost is $18/kit. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are 16 kits available
- Celebrate the full Snow Moon on Feb. 27 by making a beautiful wall hanging. The self-led kit can be picked up Feb. 16-28. This program is suitable for all ages, although children may need assistance. Cost is $9/kit. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are 20 kits available
- Discover sustainable ways to creatively feed feathered friends using natural and repurposed items during Ecofriends: Bird Feeders with Virtual Instruction. As participants craft, a naturalist will discuss the basics of bird feeding, which birds the feeder may attract and how to make common household items into bird restaurants. Kits are available for pickup from March 5-19, then tune in to a live Zoom instruction from 7-9 p.m. Friday, March 19. This program is suitable for age 8 and older. Cost is $6/kit. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are 30 kits available
Visit OaklandCountyParks.com for more information. Join the conversation on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.